Thursday, February 10, 2011

In the beginning...

#1 Soldier boy
I went to entertain the troops in Bosnia, and ended up dating a soldier from Fort Drum.  He came out to see me in LA twice and then proposed.  He was 22...I was 37.  Proposal #1.  I said no. 


#2  The Disappearing Brit
Met a British man when I was in Sarajevo, and he came out to LA to see me and flew me to England to see him.  We decided he would move to the States and we would get married.  When I was leaving Heathrow we said, "I love you" and I never heard from him again. 


# 3 The Marine (not to be confused with Army dude from Bosnia who proposed.)
So I’m dating a Marine I met at a bar in Santa Monica.  He is walking with a crutch and woos me with his stories of Iraq. Shows me his bullet wound on his leg.  Wow,  what a MAN!  Granted, he is a little young (25) but he is putting himself in harms way for the safety of me and my fellow Americans!  I find out 2 months in that he is actually 20 and was shot at a gas station in Houston.

#4  Myspace breakup
Met a musician on Sunset Blvd from England and fell MADLY in love.  Had a whirlwind romance.  I left for a dance job on a cruise ship 2 weeks later, so I had limited communication besides the internet.  I guess this gave him liberty to do the “Myspace breakup” as I call it. 

#5 The FBI agent and the government witness
I am subpoenaed to appear as a government witness in San Antonio in 1999.  I fly there and get picked up by a hot FBI agent.  We have a definite attraction, but cannot do anything about it for obvious reasons.  I got a call from him 2 months after the trial is over, and we meet up in Dana Point for a romantic rendezvous.  It has the makings of an incredible relationship, but turns out he is too Ward Cleaver for my liking.

#6 Double D with the V
A friend tells me there is a 40-year old man she met who she feels is my “soul mate.”  She says he looks like Brad Pitt, and to trust her on this one.  So I have no choice but to trust her, right?  Well, I won’t go into the gory details of the date, but key occurrences are as follows: 
Double D:  So, I got the “V!”  I’m 40 and I got the “V!”  Girls like that, right?  The “V?”  (The V is the muscles coming from your abs to your groin forming a “V”)
(later)
Double D:  Are you ready?!!  (Shouting across the parking lot as we are leaving.)
Me:  For what?
Double D:  To see my TATS? (Whips off his shirt to show me his “tats.”)
Not Brad Pitt.

#7 Confrontation from Slovakia
While performing on a cruise ship, I meet the most incredible Romanian.  Obvious intense chemistry but nothing happens because he has a Slovakian girlfriend who is also on the ship.  2 months later while back in LA, I get a call from him saying he left her and wants to fly me to Miami to meet him. I fly to Miami for one night and have the time of my life.  We part ways with the assumption we will pursue a relationship.  Never heard from him again…but I did hear from Slovakian girlfriend 4 months later saying she found our e-mail exchanges and letting me know they had never broken up and were actually engaged. 


#8 Visa proposal
I am dancing in a Latin Cirque show and start dating the son of the show owner.  He is this beautiful Chilean with a heart of gold.  Singer.  I am so happy spending the next 3 months with him…running around with the show and hanging out.  He then gives me this sob story about how he will be deported back to Chile if he does not get married.  So I get my second proposal.  I said no. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG Erica, I love your blog. These are intense stories with crazy men. (Tanya, friend of Alisha J.)

    Because my own dating stories are so pitiful, I have chosen to concentrate on only the successful, sustained couples (outsider, rosy view). High on the cutesy, but not funny like yours: http://plusone-loveproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete