Monday, February 7, 2011

Resurfacers

A "Resurfacer" is someone from your past who you arbitrarily receive text or calls from days, months or even years later.  (Elapsed times vary in length.)  Some examples: 

  1. 5 years later booty call:  I dated a guy when I first moved to Santa Monica who wast nice enough but alas, it did not last.  So I am sleeping on a random Tuesday night several months ago and I get a text from a number I don’t recognize at 2:00 AM saying “Hey babe.  Where are you?”  I waited until the next morning to text back and said “Who is this?”  He says, “Matt,” (Well, that narrows it down to about 5.)   I say, “Matt?”  He says, “Yes, from Germany.”  (Now narrowed down to 2.)  After thinking for a while, I realized it was a particular Matt I dated FIVE YEARS AGO.  I could be married with 2 kids by now, dude. 
  2. Periodic resurfacer:  This guy just doesn’t stop.  Dated him about 4 years ago.  Like clockwork, I get the “Hey babe”  every 3 months or so. Some in the middle of the day, some middle of the night.  When I entertain it with the text back, (something like, “Not much.  How are ya?”)  it ends up being a 20-part text  exchange usually ending in “Can I see you tonight?”  Oh wait, ending in ,”No.”
  3. In-between relationship resurfacers:  I can always tell if one of these guys has just gotten out of a relationship.  Usually by their facebook.  All photos disappear of the 2 of them together and newsfeed says, “so and so has gone from in In A Relationship to Single.”  Then I get the text or call, “What’s goin on tonight?”  No thanks. 
  4. Realization resurfacers:  “I have dated so many girls and none of them are you.”  Too late. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad I'm not out there anymore! Having dated endlessly, I am enjoying your posts and stories about what it was like!

    ReplyDelete